Change initiatives often fail at the first hurdle as the business case fails to convince senior management of the return on investment. Creating effective business cases and spending proposals is therefore critical to securing funding and management buy-in. Our 2-day Better Business Cases™ Foundation course prepares you for the exam leading to the Better Business Cases™ Foundation Certification.
This course is held in our virtual classroom with our expert instructor, meaning you can join the class and network with your peers from anywhere with an internet connection.
Better Business Cases training and certification is based on the ‘Five Case Model’ – the UK government’s best practice approach to developing spending proposals and enabling effective business decisions. Organisations adopting this proven approach can expect a reduction in unnecessary spending and improved decision-making process, whilst project teams have a greater chance of securing necessary funding and support for change initiatives.
The Better Business Cases™ Foundation course focus’s on the structure and key terminology of the ‘Five Care Model’ to enable learners to work effectively with a team to develop a strong business case. The model provides a step-by-step guide to developing a business case that:
- Establishes a clear need for intervention (a case for change)
- Sets clear objectives in terms of return on investment
- Considers a wide range of potential solutions ensuring an optimal balance of benefits, cost and risks.
- Sets out arrangements to ensure successful delivery of the proposal
Upon their successful completion of the course, attendees will understand:
- Philosophy and underlying rationale of the Five Case Model
- Different types of business case, their purpose, who is responsible for them and when they are required in the development of a spending proposal
- The development of the business case in relation to other recognised and recommended best practice for programme and project management.
Who should attend
- Senior Responsible Owners (SROs), Programme Directors and other Directors with responsibility for the successful delivery of programmes and projects.
- Project Managers, Project Team members and specialist advisers tasked with delivering a business case for investment.
- Officers involved in the scrutiny and review of investment proposals.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Exam & Certification
This course prepares participants for the examination leading to Better Business Cases™ Foundation certificate, granted by APMG International:
- Exam is 40 minutes; closed book
- 50 multiple-choice questions (a passing score of 50% – 25 correct answers - is required)
- You will receive an exam voucher for the web-based exam, to be scheduled after the course.
- Upon passing your exam a digital badge will be awarded by APMG International.
Course Material & Inclusions
This course comes with access to our e-materials. Material for this course will be provided as downloadable soft-copy files that can be viewed on a variety of devices. Attendees may print a hard copy of the files in whatever format best meets their needs.
The Better Business Cases syllabus is based on the Better Business Cases ‘International Guide to Developing the Project Business Case’ and ‘International Guide to Creating the Programme Business Case’, both available to download, free of charge, from the UK Government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-green-book-
international-guidance. It reflects the Foundation and Practitioner levels of the examination.
Our virtual instructor-led classes include a $25 lunch voucher for each day (value of $50 for this 2-day course), this means you can get your lunch organised whether you do it from home or the office. The voucher is provided via email on the first morning of the course.
Better Business Cases™ Foundation online exam voucher, this is issued from APMG International (global examination body) on the first morning of the course. The schedule is available 24/7 so you can book and register for your exam at a time that suits. A webcam and internet connection is required.
A digital badge you can share with your network will be provided via email upon passing your certification exam with APMG.
An amazing instructor who explained the content very clearly and at a very good pace. This was a good balance and approach to learning in a three day intensive period. I found the worked examples very practical and very relatable to the Defence industry sector I work in.
Really good facilitation, kept me interested and shared so many practical applications.
Gave me a better understanding of concepts, theories and tools to formalise and improve my current relationship management.
The instructor was very professional and was able to explain each area thoroughly and is available for Q&A.