This 3-day certification course provides comprehensive knowledge on all the key elements needed for strong IT asset management. Participants will learn the essential concepts necessary for the effective acquisition and life cycle management of hardware, software, and mobile assets.
Today’s increasingly complex business landscape can be a challenge for organisations to manage all their IT hardware and software assets. As IT departments are looking to operate at peak efficiency while minimising waste and ensuring they remain in compliance, there is a need to understand the full picture of an IT Asset Management (ITAM) program.
This course combines theory with hands-on exercises so students can apply the concepts in practice. As a result, this training is more consultative in nature, which is more practical for your organisation’s needs.
- This course syllabus is focused on what matters most – practical guidance to reduce risk, manage the IT asset life cycle, and improve compliance
- The training is more like consulting – it provides hands-on learning that allows students to better apply concepts quickly in their organisation
- Features guidance on concepts like IoT, mobile assets, cloud-based assets, and more!
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate the value of IT asset management through the alignment of objectives and key measures to benefit the organisation
- Learn how to establish appropriate foundation and parameters for an effective IT Asset Management program; including scope, governance, policies and controls
- Understand the different types and characteristics of IT assets
- Understand the various legal, contract and regulatory compliance concerns related to acquiring, managing, and disposing IT assets
- How to ensure cost-effective acquisition of assets through standards, justification, recovery and reuse of assets, and common organisation procurement practices
- Discover the importance of asset documentation and documentation management as critical elements for the management of individual assets and the overall IT Asset Management program
- Learn how to manage the lifecycle of IT assets, beginning with the structured receipt and validation of assets, asset identification, inventory and license control, through the end-of-life of the assets
- Learn how to properly, effectively and legally dispose of IT assets at end-of-life
- Learn how to prepare for and manage asset audits
- Understand the roles and responsibilities for effective and proper management and use of IT assets, both within IT and the greater organisation
- Learn to effectively integrate asset management and the configuration management system, understanding the critical relationships and dependences, as well as the major differences between the two
Who should attend
- IT staff working in asset management, product (lifecycle) managers, and procurement specialists
- IT professionals who have responsibility for the procurement, receipt, lifecycle management, inventory and audit control processes, or the disposal of IT assets for their organisation
- Procurement and purchasing professionals outside of IT, who work closely with IT professionals to acquire IT assets and who want a better understanding of the unique challenges to managing IT assets
- IT Management will benefit from this foundational understanding of IT asset management to more effectively support and enable the asset management programs in their organisations
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Exam & Certification
This course prepares participants for the examination leading to the IT Asset Management Essentials certificate, granted by Professional Designations:
- The exam is one hour in length and is a 40 multiple-choice, closed book exam
- A mark of 65% (26 correct answers) is required to pass the exam
- You will receive an exam voucher for the web-based exam, to be scheduled following the course
- After completion of this course, you may apply for self-directed learning PDUs through PMI. Certificate of attendance is available upon request.
Course Material & Inclusions
Our virtual instructor-led classes include a $25 lunch voucher for each day (valued at $75), this means you can get your lunch organised whether you do it from home or the office. The voucher is provided via email on the first morning of the course.
IT Asset Management Essentials online exam voucher plus a complimentary IT Asset Management Essentials exam re-sit if you miss out on passing your certification the first time.
A digital badge you can share with your network of your course achievement will be provided via email upon passing your certification exam.
SFIA Skills and Industry Accreditation
This course enables participants to develop their knowledge and proficiency in the following Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA®) professional skills:
- ASMG: Asset Management
- CFMG: Configuration Management
- ITOP: IT Infrastructure
- RELM: Release Management
- HSIN: Systems installation and removal
This list gives the core SFIA skills covered by the course. Elements relevant to other SFIA skills may also be included to a lesser depth. Proficiency in a SFIA skill is measured by performance assessment and is achieved through actual substantial use of that skill in a real-world situation over some time. In course assignments and exercises undertaken through a course can demonstrate elements of the relevant skills which can then be further developed back in the workplace. Acquiring new skills and building on existing skills, ideally occurs within the context of an agreed development plan for each person that ensures that their personal circumstances, strengths and development needs are met.
An amazing instructor who explained the content very clearly and at a very good pace. This was a good balance and approach to learning in a three day intensive period. I found the worked examples very practical and very relatable to the Defence industry sector I work in.
Really good facilitation, kept me interested and shared so many practical applications.
Gave me a better understanding of concepts, theories and tools to formalise and improve my current relationship management.
The instructor was very professional and was able to explain each area thoroughly and is available for Q&A.