A business relationship manager (BRM) is responsible for building relationships between the business units and IT team to ensure IT services are aligned with the organisation and its customers’ needs. BRMs work closely with the company to develop and prioritise IT needs and determine what services are required to ensure they are effectively delivered. It is essentially about getting the most out of IT services.
The role is vital ensuring optimal business partner satisfaction. When IT delivers optimal business value and completes every request the company makes there is guaranteed best return on investment in IT. A BRM has to work with the business to understand the value of a service and help create the best return on IT investment.
A BRM has a certain skill set that makes them succeed in the role. This includes, but is not limited to:
– A BRM must manage supply chain and relevant communications.
– Know which plans and actions are required to develop IT services will affect customers.
– Ensuring customer requirements are understood and delivered.
– Conduct analysis and investigations to document customer needs.
– Advise customers on solutions and which will work best for them.
– Work as a customer advocate throughout strategy implementation.
– Develop and present a cost-beneficial business analysis.
– Present/selling company plans to stakeholders.
– Address financial, organisational and political interests.
– Present and clarify complex messages.
– Utilise logic to win stakeholder support.
– Present difficult messages with a diplomatic standpoint.
– Know how to influence different parties.
– Identify what tools can be used for negotiation.
– Utilise collaborative problem solving to achieve goals.
– Produce a sales strategy and support procedure.
– Present an effective response to customer sales enquiries.
– Research/understand industry trends.
– Minimise business risks.
– Maximise the benefits for the organisation.
If you possess the above skills, becoming a BRM could be for you. A BRM has to be able to work closely alongside the business partner to develop procedures to ensure optimal return on IT investment. It is a role that carries great responsibility and people management. The BRM has to be able to effectively communicate their message to the IT team, stakeholders and customers to ensure that each party understands what is required to deliver the best outcome on a project in order to maximise ROI.
ITSM Hub provides business relationship manager training for people looking to step up to this role at their organisation. Our highly skilled and certified trainers can equip you with the skills needed to handle customer relationships and achieve maximum ROI on projects.
To discuss enrolling in our training program, please feel free to contact the ITSM Hub. We will discuss our program and how we can help you handle the duties associated with becoming a BRM.
Call us on 1300 424 025 or submit an enquiry form on our contact page. We will get back to you as soon as possible and with all the information you require regarding enrolling in our training program.