The PRINCE2 Foundation, 6th edition (formally PRINCE2® 2017) certification introduces the PRINCE2 method and aims to confirm that you know and understand the method well enough to be able to work effectively with, or as a member of, a project management team working within an environment supporting PRINCE2.
The PRINCE2 Foundation 6th edition certification is a prerequisite for the Practitioner certification.
This 3-day course is held in our virtual classroom with our expert instructor, meaning you can join the class and network with your peers from anywhere with an internet connection.
PRINCE2 (PRojects IN Controlled Environments) is a process-based, scalable approach for effective project management. PRINCE2's teachings and certifications provide you with knowledge needed to contribute successfully to your organisation's projects. Overall, the guidance will give you and your team common project processes, systems, procedures and language. You benefit from stronger communication channels between the project team, project management and the rest of the organisation, while avoiding errors, saving time and money and, most important, delivering successful project outcomes!
PRINCE2 is widely used across the world and is gaining popularity in Australia as a complement to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK®) championed by the Project Management Institute (PMI).
PRINCE2's unique features include:
- The definition of seven key processes, themes and roles for project functions
- Theories for assessing project management maturity
- A focus on business justification and ongoing validation of processes.
At the end of your PRINCE2 Foundation course, candidates will have an understanding of the following:
An understanding of the six aspects of project performance as they relate to project management
- The definition and five characteristics of a project
- The definition of the four integrated elements of principles, themes, processes and project environment
- An understanding of the terms and concepts relating to the overview and principles of PRINCE2
- An understanding of how to tailor PRINCE2 to a project environment
- An understanding of the customer/supplier context of a PRINCE2 project
- An understanding of how a business case relates to PRINCE2 principles, including:
- The composition of a business case
- The purpose of the business case and how it supports business justification
- The difference between an output, an outcome and a benefit
- The purpose of a business case and benefits review
- An understanding of the difference between project stakeholders and decision makers
- An understanding of project communication management strategy
- An understanding of following themes, including how they relate to project management principles, how they are applied throughout the project lifecycle and the roles and responsibilities involved:
- An understanding of project processes including how to apply them and how to tailor them within a project environment; specifically:
- Starting up a project
- Directing a project
- Initiating a project
- Managing stage boundaries
- Controlling a stage
- Managing product delivery
- Closing a project
Who should attend
This certification is aimed at current and aspiring project managers or professionals who manage projects. It is also relevant to other key staff involved in the design, development and delivery of projects, including:
- Project Board members (e.g. Senior Responsible Owners),
- Team Managers (e.g. Product Delivery Managers),
- Project Assurance (e.g. Business Change Analysts),
- Project Support (e.g. Project and Programme Office personnel) and
- Operational line managers or staff.
There are no pre-requisites for the PRINCE2 Foundation course however there will be pre-course work and homework assignments during the course.
Exam & Certification
This course prepares participants for the examination leading to the PRINCE2 Foundation Certificate.
- A 60-minute, 60 question, multiple-choice exam is administered by an independent examination body, PeopleCert.
- A passing mark of 55% is required to receive your certificate.
The exam is provided as an online examination voucher, upon completing your course you will receive an email from PeopleCert with information on how to register and schedule your exam. The examination is 60 minutes, please allow for an additional 30 minutes for set up and authentication. You will require a photo identification, quiet space, webcam, speakers and a reliable internet connection.
The exam schedule is available 24/7 so you can sit your exam at a time that suits you. Your voucher will be valid for 12 months, we do recommend you complete your examination as close to the course date as you can – this is when the information is fresh and relevant.
Course Material & Inclusions
The official publication; Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 6th edition is included as an eBook. This will be provided on the first morning of the course as part of your PeopleCert exam voucher. When you redeem your PeopleCert Voucher Code, there will be a new eBook in the ‘My eBooks’ section of your PeopleCert Account.
The PRINCE2 Foundation online examination is conducted via PeopleCert using the online web proctored service which is available 24/7.
A complimentary exam re-sit is included if you miss out the first time. This is the Take2 option (activated upon a 'failed' exam result) from PeopleCert.
The official PeopleCert course materials will also be available from within your candidates PeopleCert portal.
Our virtual instructor-led classes include a $25 lunch voucher (valued at $75), this means you can get your lunch organised whether you do it from home or the office. The voucher is provided via email on the first morning of the course.
SFIA Skills & Industry Accreditation
After completion of this course, you may apply for self-directed learning PDU's through PMI. A certificate of attendance is available upon request.
This course enables participants to develop their knowledge and proficiency in the following Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA®) professional skills:
- METL: Methods and tools
- PRMG: Project Management
- PROF: Portfolio, Programme and Project Support
This list gives the core SFIA skills covered by the course. Elements relevant to other SFIA skills may also be included to a lesser depth. Proficiency in a SFIA skill is measured by performance assessment and is achieved through actual substantial use of that skill in a real-world situation over some time. In course assignments and exercises undertaken through a course can demonstrate elements of the relevant skills which can then be further developed back in the workplace. Acquiring new skills and building on existing skills, ideally occurs within the context of an agreed development plan for each person that ensures that their personal circumstances, strengths and development needs are met.
An amazing instructor who explained the content very clearly and at a very good pace. This was a good balance and approach to learning in a three day intensive period. I found the worked examples very practical and very relatable to the Defence industry sector I work in.
Really good facilitation, kept me interested and shared so many practical applications.
Gave me a better understanding of concepts, theories and tools to formalise and improve my current relationship management.
The instructor was very professional and was able to explain each area thoroughly and is available for Q&A.